Ayurveda and yoga are sister Vedic sciences which were united for hundreds of years for the sake of therapeutic physique, thoughts, and consciousness. Usually talking, Ayurveda offers extra with the well being of the physique, whereas yoga offers with purifying the thoughts and consciousness, however in actuality they complement and embrace one another.
The traditional rishis (seers) have been the unique masters of all Vedic sciences. They understood that good well being is a good asset on the trail towards Self-realization. If the physique is uncared for it could actually simply grow to be an impediment to non secular apply. Anybody who has practiced meditation for any size of time would conform to how troublesome it may be to sit down nonetheless for lengthy intervals of time with out feeling discomfort and fatigue. Each yoga and Ayurveda are mutually supportive and provide some ways to stop and heal varied issues in addition to to cleanse and rejuvenate the physique.
In addition to sharing a philosophical basis, each programs have many similarities in relation to perspective, diet, weight-reduction plan, hygiene, train, cleaning practices, in addition to non secular practices. Historically, a pupil of yoga would first reside near and serve the guru for a few years, throughout which period he would be taught wholesome habits. The fundamental Ayurvedic rules for well being and longevity have been previous on within the lineage in oral kind to function a basis for a lifetime of sadhana (non secular apply).
These days, the teachings of yoga are simply out there to all, and whether or not ready or not we will leap headlong into its apply. This has its blessings, within the sense that extra folks could be turned on to the teachings, though a lot is usually misplaced with out the parampara, or shut steerage on the ft of an completed grasp. With this in thoughts, fashionable yoga practitioners would most definitely profit from a fundamental information of Ayurveda to assist set up a wholesome day by day routine and regulate their apply in line with the structure, dosha imbalance, season, and so forth, to stop illness and promote longevity.
First, let’s check out the similarities between yoga and Ayurveda:
* Each are historic Vedic teachings. Yoga originates within the Yajur Veda, whereas Ayurveda originates within the Atharva Veda and Rig Veda.
* Each acknowledge that maintaining the physique wholesome is significant for fulfilling the 4 goals of life: Dharma (responsibility), Artha (wealth), Kama (need), and Moksha (liberation).
* Each acknowledge that the stability of doshas (humors), dhatus (tissues), and malas (waste merchandise) is crucial for sustaining good well being.
* Each share nearly the identical metaphysical anatomy and physiology, which consists of 72,000 nadis (refined channels), 7 essential chakras (power facilities), 5 bodily sheaths, and the Kundalini Shakti (power).
* Each advocate the usage of weight-reduction plan, herbs, asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra, astrology, prayer, puja, and rituals for therapeutic the complete being.
* Each encourage bodily well being as a great basis for psychological, emotional, and non secular well-being.
* Each share the identical view on psychology. Ayurveda embraces all six of the primary faculties of philosophy together with the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and Vedanta (a non-dual philosophical and non secular path). They each perceive that the attachment to the body-mind advanced is the basis reason for all struggling and that the final word state of well being is skilled once we abide in our true nature, which is whole peace, whatever the state of the bodily physique.
* Each use cleaning strategies for the physique, all of which encourage the elimination of waste merchandise and toxins by means of their pure routes of elimination. Ayurveda has panchakarma (5 cleaning actions) and yoga makes use of Shat Karma (six purification measures).
Ayurvedic strategy to asana apply
The usage of asana, pranayama, and meditation for therapeutic is named Yoga Chikitsa, or Yoga Remedy and has been used for hundreds of years by Ayurvedic and yogic adepts. In Yoga Chikitsa, a gaggle of yogic workouts are chosen that can greatest help the person and are practiced day by day. This may be achieved over an prolonged time frame together with an Ayurvedic regime and natural and dietary therapies. Yoga Chikitsa additionally performs an integral function within the Ayurvedic cleaning and rejuvenation course of generally known as panchakarma.
For a effectively balanced private yoga apply, you will need to consider the person’s physique construction, prakruti (authentic structure), and vikruti (current constitutional imbalance). The next are basic suggestions in line with the predominant dosha.
Vata predominant people ought to keep in mind to deal with calming, grounding, stillness, strengthening, and balancing whereas doing their apply.
Precautions for vata:
* Vinyasa or move types of yoga have a tendency to maneuver too rapidly from one pose to the subsequent and may worsen the hyper-mobile high quality of vata over time. Circulate sequences could be made to be extra vata pacifying if they aren’t excessively lengthy, the size of time poses are held is prolonged, and transitions are achieved slowly and consciously.
* These with decrease again issues could discover that bending the knees in standing ahead bends can stop discomfort.
* Again bends needs to be achieved slowly, rigorously and inside one’s personal limits.
Pitta people ought to keep a peaceful, cool, and relaxed intention whereas doing asanas. Pitta sorts could profit from making an attempt to domesticate an perspective of forgiveness, and of surrendering or providing the fruits of their apply to the divine of to these in want of optimistic therapeutic power. As a result of asana apply tends to generate warmth within the physique, it’s best to do them at cooling instances of the day, corresponding to daybreak or nightfall. Additionally, it’s helpful to put some emphasis on poses that assist to launch extra warmth from the physique, corresponding to poses that compress the photo voltaic plexus and poses that open the chest like.
Kapha sorts are typically sedentary and sometimes dislike vigorous train. Because of this, their apply needs to be energetic, warming, lightening, and stimulating, offering they’re bodily succesful. Vinyasa or move type yoga is sweet for kapha as a result of it’s dynamic and strikes rapidly from one pose to the subsequent, it induces sweating and will get the center pumping.
Yoga poses that deal with particular doshic issues could be simply added to an Ayurvedic regime and built-in into an present yoga routine, or they are often organized as a small session with the assistance of an Ayurvedic clinician who is aware of every particular person case effectively and may also help arrange a effectively balanced program in line with the wants of every shopper.
Ayurveda additionally provides Yoga Chikitsa, or Yoga Remedy, for particular doshic issues. It’s suggested to seek the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner for an individualized regime.
Ayurvedic Strategy to Pranayama (respiratory methods).
The final word purpose of pranayama is to calm the thoughts and put together it for meditation. It additionally has a therapeutic impact on the bodily physique as effectively. It’s not important to do a pranayama apply in line with dosha, however realizing its results on the physique is a invaluable instrument for administration of the doshas. Under is a basic listing of pranayama and bandha workouts in line with dosha.
Vata: Nadi Shodhana, Kapala Bhati, Agnisara Dhauti, Ujjayi, Tri Bandha, Maha Mudra.
Pitta: Sheetali or Sitkari, Nadi shodhana.
Kapha: Bastrika, Agnisara Dhauti, Kapala Bhati, Ashvini Mudra (contracting and releasing Mula Bandha), Ashvini Mudra, Ujjayi, Tri Bandha, Maha Mudra.
Moreover, the 4 Purifications taught in our workshops is an historic methodology from the Ashtanga Yoga for purifying the gross and refined physique with a purpose to put together it for extra superior practices. They’re tridoshic and protected for everybody, offering they’re carried out accurately.
Meditation In response to Dosha.
These non secular paths and their meditation methods could be practiced by anybody, no matter their prakruti. This listing is barely supposed to provide an thought on how dosha can help or affect one’s non secular apply. Many traditions of yoga mix varied points of the paths listed right here.
* Vata: Kriya Yoga or Ashtanga Yoga and different structured methods assist to maintain vata stabilized and centered.
* Pitta: Jnana Yoga and Vedanta are good for pitta sorts as a result of they typically have sharp intellects and have a eager curiosity in self-study (Atma-vichara).
* Kapha: Bhakti yoga is pure for kapha sorts as a result of they’re typically loving and devotional by nature.
Ayurvedic and Yogic Food regimen.
Ayurveda is extra involved with meals being constitutionally balanced, whereas Yoga promotes a weight-reduction plan that’s sattwic (mild and pure). A mixture of each points is your best option for a yogi or anybody desirous to make actual progress on a non secular path.
Ayurvedic weight-reduction plan:
* In response to dosha.
* Primarily vegetarian (meat is used as medication, primarily for excessive deficiencies).
* Primarily cooked (uncooked meals carefully, particularly for vata sorts).
* Containing six tastes.
Yogic weight-reduction plan:
* Sattwic vegetarian weight-reduction plan.
* Simple to digest.
* Easy meals (to restrict need).
* Each cooked and uncooked.
* Meals advisable within the Hatha Yoga Pradipika encompass rejuvenating substances corresponding to wheat, entire grain, white basmati, corn, uncooked milk, uncooked sugar, butter, ghee, honey, dried ginger, mung beans, pure water, greens.
* Fruits, roots and nuts.
* Avoiding extreme sizzling, bitter, salty, fermented, and fried meals.
* Avoiding tamasic (dulling) meals like meat, onions, garlic and mushrooms as a daily a part of the day by day weight-reduction plan.
Cleaning in Yoga and Ayurveda.
Ayurveda and Yoga each emphasize cleaning of the physique for well being and help of non secular practices. Their strategies are related and work by expelling extra dosha and ama, or toxins, utilizing the physique’s pure routes of elimination.
The yogic methodology is understood within the Ashtanga custom as Shat Karma, or six cleaning measures. These are:
1. Neti (nasal cleaning):
Jala neti (salt water flushing of the sinuses).
Sutra neti (nasal cleansing with string).
2. Dhauti (washing the GI tract).
Tooth, tongue, eyes, ears and brow.
Vamana Dhauti (vomiting salt water).
Vastra Dhauti (washing with a fabric).
Varisara Dhauti (washing with water for purgation).
3. Basti (enema).
4. Trataka (brow wash, gazing right into a candle flame).
5. Nauli (intestinal washing, belly rolling).
6. Kapala Bhati (cranium shining).
The Ayurvedic methodology for cleaning and rejuvenation is named panchakarma (pancha karma), or 5 cleaning actions. This program is normally achieved for every week or two, however may also be achieved for longer intervals relying on the case. The 5 actions of this methodology are:
1. Basti (Enema).
2. Nasya (Nasal software of herbs and natural oils).
3. Vamana (Therapeutic vomiting).
4. Virechana (Purgation).
5. Rakta Moksha (Blood letting).
It’s apparent that Ayurveda and yoga not solely complement one another. Each sciences truly embrace one another as they share similarities and elementary rules on many ranges. Ayurveda and yoga ought to go hand in hand if we wish to obtain optimum well being, peace, and longevity.